New Voices U.S.

New Voices State Tracker

New Voices USA is a network of state-by-state campaigns to pass anti-censorship legislation that will grant extra protections to student journalists. The movement is inspired by the success in North Dakota, where in 2015, the state legislature unanimously passed a bill that ensures the free-speech rights of journalism students in public schools and colleges. The Student Press Law Center tracks state-by-state laws and pending campaigns.

1143_new_voices_keyo

6 Comments

6 Responses to “New Voices State Tracker”

1. Grace Weaver on May 2nd, 2016 10:46 am

I was wondering if I could use the map in my story which is about the New Voice Legislation.

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

Absolutely!

[Reply]

2. Melissa Stanzione on April 6th, 2017 1:09 pm

Is this current as of April 6, 2017?

[Reply]

3. Mike Donoghue on May 26th, 2017 7:26 pm

Please change the Green Mountain State to Green.

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott signed the bill this week. (We are no longer blue!) Thank you legislature and Governor.

[Reply]

4. Christine L. Perez on September 5th, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello,
    I am the adviser of a SNO middle school newspaper in Orange County, California. Do these laws also protect middle school reporters? I just had my principal inform me that the superintendent has stated for the first time that the questions any reporter may have for board members need to be sent to him first. What are my protections as a middle school journalism adviser in California?

[Reply]

Frank LoMonte Reply:

The law in California applies to “pupils of the public schools” at all levels. http://www.splc.org/article/1977/02/california-student-free-expression-law-includes-adviser-protection-provision Please send us a message at director@splc.org or encourage your students to do so. If your students directly contact school board members, as is their legal right, the school cannot legally take any adverse action either against you for “refusing to censor” them or against the students. SPLC often writes letters to school districts to help them understand the law and this may be the right situation for such a letter. But please correspond with confidentially using that splc.org email and fill us in on the back-story that led to this order from the superintendent. Thank you for getting in touch!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

New Voices State Tracker